Yes, I know it’s been a long time since I posted last, but I’d be remiss if I didn’t remind people that the 2nd annual celebration of International Peggy Carter Day is coming up soon–April 9th to be exact!
What is International Peggy Carter Day? Here’s the statement from the Facebook Group:
On April 9th, 2018, in honor of our favorite Agent’s birthday, we invite Peggy Carter fans to join us in celebrating a character that has brought so much into our lives by taking part in the Second International Peggy Carter Day.
How do you participate in International Peggy Carter Day?
1. On Monday, April 9th, 2018, channel your inner Peggy Carter! Maybe it will be by wearing something Carter-inspired like those retro sunglasses, or those Mary Jane pumps you love so much, that power suit that makes you feel professional and confident, or a stout pair of Army boots. Carry that Stratton compact or tuck a compass in your pocket. Paint your nails red or put on a red fedora. Do whatever makes you feel like Peggy. Maybe the only thing you have to put on is attitude. Tell yourself “I know my value.” Believe it. Don’t let anyone make you feel otherwise.
2. Revel in the feeling of empowerment this brings you, you deserve it. Maybe this is the day you ask for that raise or negotiate a better loan. Tell someone you love them. Stand up for what you believe in. Stand up for someone else. Stand up for what’s right. This is your day. Own it.
3. Take pictures! Share your pictures or experiences HERE and on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Instagram, and across your social media sites #PeggyCarterDay and #IKnowMyValue). Share on your LiveJournal, Dreamwidth, and Imzy accounts. Spread the word among your friends, too.
This year, Besame (in a brilliant marketing move) has released a limited edition Field Agent Lipstick Kit and is encouraging people to post their kit-related pictures to social media with the hashtags #BesameCosmetics #BeTimeless and #MakeupwithHistory
Be sure to tag them on their social media sites too! If you want a Field Kit you’d better hurry–there aren’t that many left!
4. Last year we promoted Alzheimer’s Awareness by encouraging people to post pictures of themselves sharing a link to an organization in their country—such as the Alzheimer’s Foundation in the United States: www.alzfdn.org
You can certain do that again! But we’d also like to support the Time’s Up movement this year.
This is an international celebration! We want to see Peggys from all over the world! So be sure to seek out the groups in your area and share the information.
5. We’re also encouraging people to post a picture of themselves holding up a whiteboard or sign with the words: I know my value because______. Fill in the blank with the word that makes you feel your self-worth.
Some people may feel they can’t participate because they aren’t into cosplay or they don’t look anything like Peggy Carter. We encourage people to participate in any way they feel comfortable, the key sentiment here is to embody her spirit in any way you want. It doesn’t matter if that embodiment is external with clothing, or internal with attitude, something else entirely, or all of the above. Anyone can participate. We can all be Peggy if we choose.
Every time you get a group of Peggy fans together, you’re likely to hear how much the character has impacted their lives for the better. In Peggy, we have a heroine who is not a superhero, who doesn’t have special powers, but who gets the job done through hard work, competence, intelligence, and grit. Who has loved and lost and has persevered through much adversity. Who isn’t perfect, but owns up to those imperfections to always do her best.
With one iconic line, she taught legions of fans self-confidence and self-worth. “I know my value” is one of the most powerful sentences ever spoken by a female character. As fellow fan Katie White said, “Peggy Carter is strong and confident, and she gives people who cosplay as her the ability to see what it means to be confident and strong, even if it’s just for a few hours.”
Many Peggy fans have already embraced the idea of emulating everyone’s favorite agent on a daily basis, but for some, this is a new concept.
So join us for International Peggy Carter Day.